Saturday, April 11, 2009

couch advice

We are in the market for a new couch.

I know the layout I want, but am lost as to the kind of fabric. I don't want leather, but I do want something that is durable and easy to clean. These couches of ours are old and worked over. They've been through a lot these last 6 1/2 years. I want something really comfy and that seats a lot of bottoms! Here is one that I am interested in. But, I'm not sold on chenille. I do like the layout, though, and I'm digging the ottoman- for extra seating.

What kind of fabric do you have? What do you like/dislike? How does it stand up to kids, spills, dirty feet, throw-up, etc.? Please tell me. This is a big investment and I really want to get something that we will be happy with for a long time!

12 comments:

Janell said...

We have microfiber couches and really love them. They clean up so easily with just water and a rag. More than once the kids have taken pen or marker to the whole cushion and we've been able to get it off with a little carpet cleaning product and water! I highly recommend it. If I could go back I would get a darker color though.

The Hytes said...

We have a microfiber set too, and love the clean up abilities of it. They have been through 5 moves, 3 babies and it's our most comfortable set of couches. When my kids grow up a little more, we'll replace them for a more updated style (these are 7 years old) but they have been awesome through kids!!!

Julia said...

Microfiber fan here, too. Easy clean up for any kind of spill, and we have dark brown so it hides a lot! Pen marks come off with just a dab of rubbing alcohol..it's like magic. Love the layout you're looking at!

queenieweenie said...

I've had a chenille sectional for almost six years and it still looks brand new. This sofa is in my family room which gets LOTS of wear and tear and use. I think the secret is making sure it is a GOOD chenille.

Happy Shopping!

Joanna said...

Same as the above comments- we have mircrofiber. Comfy, affordable, and most importantly- durable!!! We have had pen marks, food, baby spit up, you name it!!! And it can be wiped down and look as good as new. Good luck on your search.

Amber said...

We had microfiber. But returned it because I didnt like the lines it makes when you rub your hand across it or when people sit on it. I swore I would never get leather. Its cold to sit on in the winter and you stick on it in the summer. Since we got one I love it and I dont know if I will ever get anything less.

Heidi said...

We just got a NEW couch when we moved and it was probably the BIGGEST ordeal of our entire move...so I have TONS of advice to give, but I think you need me to call me on this one...ha ha ha...we had a TON TON TON of drama too. We searched on-line, every furtniture store in California that is still open, and got one similar layout to the one you had in your picture.

Pricilla said...

I was gonna say I love microfiber but, I guess I don't need to :)

Katie and Mark said...

Another tumbs up for microfiber! It holds up to my four kids!

Ashley Park said...

micro fiber is totally the way to go!! it upholds ANYTHING!!!!

Lisa said...

We just ordered new leather couches to be delivered to our new house (YEA!)I didn't want leather either, but I think with lots of pillows it will be fine. JEremy wanted leather and he won that battle!! WE got 2 black couches. I'll let ya know how it goes. IT was a very big decision for us too! We still have the old WYview couch Kara helped us recover!!!!

Tanya Smith said...

We have dark brown leather. At first I was reluctant but it is so easy to maintain. If the baby spills milk, ice cream, ketchup, WHATEVER, I just wipe it up and you can't even tell. We've had it almost 3 years and it still looks brand new. It is very comfy and doubles as our "guest bed" whenever we have company. Plus, it came with a 5 year warranty against cuts, tears, etc. even if it's your own fault (or your pets or kids). Good luck finding the right one!