Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Real Deal

I had one of those experiences yesterday where I said to myself "Wow- now I'm a real mom." It's happened a few times before- and it continues to happen unexpectedly.

At Tyler's Back to School Night a few months back, I signed up for PTA and got roped into being in charge of the "Read Across America" (Dr. Seuss' Bday) for the elementary school. I had my first mtg with the PTA ladies yesterday and that's when it hit me. All that other stuff didn't count- now I'm a real mom.

I need your help- all you older and wiser mothers- what have your schools done for this event? In the past our school has done "Muffins with Mom & Doughnuts with Dad" where the parents come in the morning before school starts and read with their kids.. It's a cute idea but they want me to change things up a little bit. So I'm looking for ideas. Please??

So... now that I'm the real deal... there's no room for mediocrity here. I'm on a mission- I'm gonna do it and I'm gonna do it good.

3 comments:

queenieweenie said...

My kids get to dress up as their favorite character from a book-they can't do Halloween so this is a sneaky way to let them dress up. Then the parents are invited to go to the kid's classes after flag salute and read.

Our school has a stupid wellness policy so the treats are nothing to speak of.

Good luck!

Ani said...

Besides playing kissing tag, and around the world spelling bee, the only thing I remember well from elementary school is this day. We came to school in our jammies, and I think we brought a pillow, and we had like an hour out of the day to read and be read to. The principal came into our class to read to us too.

You never ceases to amazing me. Four kids, church callings, a dog, work out schedule, book clubs, babysitting for friends, AND the PTA?!

Anonymous said...

Up here we have 3 different schools that cover K-6 (each school has 2 grades). The biggest celebrations are at the K-1 and 2-3 schools.

A grown-up usually dresses up in a 'Cat In The Hat' costume, and the kids get to eat green eggs and ham. Some teachers take a poll of which kids liked/disliked the green eggs and do creative posters and such with that info. Then the parents read Dr. Seuss books in the classrooms, kids get reading appropriate pencils, etc. (think party bags). For the classroom part some students come in PJs, bring pillows, etc.

So glad to hear that you've acclimated to PTA life. They are lucky to have you! We only wish you were still in NoCal, so we could be the lucky beneficiaries!

Have fun! Hope you plan to blog your results. I'm excited to hear about it.

... Denise