Friday, July 11, 2008

s-w-e-e-t

That's the word that describes my big boy, Tyler. He did the sweetest thing this week, I just have to share.

I signed the boys up for a 3 day Summer Day Camp this week. Just to do something fun and different. Their first day was Monday. On the way there, I gave them a little talk, reminding them to watch out for each other and take care of each other. On the way home we were chatting about their day and how it went. After we were done, Tyler said, "I sat next to Jacob when he was alone today." I asked him what he meant and he proceeded to tell me that at lunch time he sat down with his friends and there were no seats left, so Jacob sat by himself at another table. Tyler picked up his lunch and went and sat with Jacob.

I can't even explain how happy that made me. As a mom, you work so hard to teach your kids kindness and compassion and it's hard to know if they are actually getting it. This little incident showed me that even when I'm not there, Tyler is choosing the right and watching out for his little brother. Tyler really is a very sweet and thoughtful little boy. He is great with babies and is always looking out for his younger siblings. I am so thankful that he is my oldest because he is such a good example in our family.

When Tyler was 6 months old and I found out I was pregnant (a day I'll never forget!) I was pretty nervous that I would have kids 14 months apart and even more nervous when I found out it was another boy! But, I couldn't be happier that things worked out the way they did. I love it that my boys are the very best of friends. They literally spend ALL day together and then when we check on them at night, they are snuggled up in the same bed. They definitely have their moments, but I hope that they are always close. Nothing like a brother to have your back!

8 comments:

Holly O. said...

I don't think I realized they were only 14 months apart. It is so sweet to see these brothers become best friends.

Emily said...

OHHHHH! I love that story! There is nothing better then seeing your children caring for each other.

BTW--love the skate board picture. What a cool little guy! Thomas has been asking for one and maybe we will have to go and get him one.

queenieweenie said...

Love the new blog. So pretty.

I love having boys together. It's the best. They take care of each other and are the best of friends. H.F. knew what he was doing in your family and mine!

Jenn S. said...

So sweet. I agree, there really is nothing better than watching your kids be sweet to eachother.

Pricilla said...

How sweet. I love it when my kids do stuff like that too. That is so cute that they sleep together too!! I hope you get pictures of that. You are one lucky mommy to have such sweethearts.

SUMMER said...

Summer camps are the best. Everyone wins.. the boys have fun and you get some free time! Love the skateboarder!

Anonymous said...

That is such a sweet story. My boys are best friends and I love it. I cant wait to see you guys.

Chris and Debbie said...

He is soooo sweet! That brought tears to my eyes! But really, I shouldn't be so surprised. They're learning from the best! You're such an awesome mom Danielle! My sister and I are 14 months apart also and I love it, we've always been so close!