Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Jake: Another Exciting Adventure




Here's a little comedic drama for your enjoyment. Non-fiction.

Wednesday, June 27- Edmonds Home
4:45 am


(Enter Tyler and Jake, crying, screaming, running down the hall.)
(Mom and Dad jump quickly from bed and run to screaming children.)

Mom: What's the matter? Is someone hurt?

(more crying, more screaming)
(Mom takes Tyler aside and tries to calm him, Dad picks Jake up to investigate further)
(Tyler calms down, mom and dad suddenly hear that between Jake's cries, he is violently gasping for air.)

M: What? What is that sound? What's going on?
D: Jacob, you need to calm down and take some deep breaths.


(Dad tries to walk around with Jake and calm him down, Mom starts getting worried and follows them into the bathroom, Jake has his chin up and is still gasping for a breath)

M: (starting to panic) I think something is really wrong. Jake, try to breathe through your nose.

(Mom starts to cry, without even knowing it.)
(Tyler is standing in the corner with HUGE eyes, observing the drama)

D: He just needs to calm down. Jake take a drink.


(Jake tries to drink but can't, neck is constricting and now he is starting to panic.)

M: Um, I think we should call 911.
D: Let's give it a minute.
M: No minutes, I'm calling.


(Mom tries to dial, hands are shaking too hard, tears are blurring vision.)
(talks to 911 operator and they dispatch help)
(Mom and Dad scramble to put some type of regular clothing on and rush Jake downstairs. Jake's wheezing continues, but is subsiding.)
(Cue fire truck siren)

Tyler: Wow- I hear a siren.
D: Yes, they are coming to our house.


(enter fire fighters and paramedics- hair disheveled, eyes swollen)
Emergency Team: What's going on?

(Mom explains problem, Jake miraculously sits up and smiles at the sleepy men who were just pulled from their warm, cozy beds.)
(They take oxygen level, listen to Jake's breathing, write lots of stuff down)


ET: Jacob, are you feeling sick?
J: Nope.
ET: Are you having a hard time breathing?
J: Nope.
ET: How do you feel?
J: Fine.


(Mom shrugs her shoulders and looks at Dad.)
(Dad is conveniently sitting on the couch far ACROSS the room holding Tyler.)
(ET pronounces that Jake is fine, probably croup, definitely wheezing but 100% oxygen.)

M: So sorry to call you, but I was really scared.
ET: We understand, we would have been scared too. Give him a treatment of albuterol and take him to his Dr. in the morning. Call us if it happens again, have a good night.


(Tyler continues with large eyes and is staring at the numerous strangers now filing out the front door, Dad is still very quiet.)
(Mom disappears to garage to find sleeping daughters asthma medication and nebulizer.)
(Mom walks into the family room, discovers 2 boys and 1 dad laughing hysterically.)


J: Watch this Ty!


(Jake takes a large, gasping breath, mimicking earlier startling breathing behavior.)
(Ty erupts into a laughing fit, mom stares at boys in unbelief, Dad is trying not to laugh)

M: NOT FUNNY JAKE, STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!!!

(Naughty boy does it one more time, more laughter.)
(Mom gives breathing treatment, wheezing is still apparent, but better.)

5:15 am-
(everyone returns to bed)
(Mom tries to fall asleep while the following thought keeps running through her head- "Dang- why didn't I get a picture of Jake with the firefighters for my blog???")

Wednesday 8:45 am- Dr. Tsai's Office
Dr. Tsai: Jake's fine. Probably croup. Nothing we can do, have fun at the beach.

THE END.

6 comments:

Pricilla said...

Wow that is so dramatic, and scary! I think I would have done the same thing. I am so glad that it turned out with laughs at the end:)

Julia said...

OHMIGOSH you've got to be kidding me. what a morning!! boys, boys, boys. and i've got to smile about the picture for your blog thing... :) i'm so glad he is okay and it was nothing serious!

Brooke said...

Oh Danielle,
I cant believe the drama from the boys! I laughed when you thought about missing the picture for your blog. Thanks for sharing.

Ani said...

I will admit, when you were telling me what happened, and got to the paramedic part, all I was thinking was..."what a good blog story, I hope she took a picture, even though it would be kinda odd to whip out the camera in all the drama."

Anonymous said...

Yeah, a camera photo op with the paramedics probably wouldn't have been appropriate at the time I guess, eh? LOL Seriously hilarious. I would have SO wanted to hurt my kids for real if they ever did anything like that. Your life brings back so many memories of my boys when with were little with my poor little girl just bringing up the rear.

Stephanie said...

Danielle, I am so glad he was OK. Joseph had an ambulance ride once for the croup . . .it is very scary when a child can't breathe. I laughed so hard when you described Aaron's reaction though . . . always excitement at home for you!