Wednesday, February 16, 2011

laundry, schmaundry

With the amount of laundry I do on a weekly basis, I have been trying to fine tune my laundry routine for several months now. I have tried many different ways- once a week, once a day, whenever the basket is full, etc- nothing worked!

I was talking with a friend several months ago and she mentioned that she does laundry twice a week- on certain days. I liked that idea- and thought about how I could get 7 peoples laundry down to twice a week- and make it manageable. I finally figured it out!! At least this is what works for me.

I bought 2 laundry baskets and put them side by side next to the laundry room. One for the girls, one for the boys and then Aaron and I have one upstairs. There is also a smaller basket in the laundry room for towels, placemats, misc stuff. I do laundry once a week for each group of people: boys on Tuesdays , girls on Wednesdays and ours on Thursdays. I throw the random stuff in when the basket fills up or I have extra room in another load. What's amazing is that I have actually kept up with it! I think the main reason is, that if I skip a day, I get behind. I love this system, it's quick, easy and not overwhelming at all. Each day usually ends up being 2-3 loads. I wash it in the morning, fold it in the afternoon- which only takes 15 minutes or so- and put it away before bedtime. Wa-la! Done!

Along with our new laundry system, I decided to try making my own laundry soap. It was easy, fun, cheap and it worked great! Plus, I had a handsome little assistant, who is always willing to pull up a stool and help mommy.


Homemade Laundry Soap

3 bars Pink Zote Soap
4 pound box of Borax
4 pound box of Arm and Hammer Baking Soda
4 pound box of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
1 small bucket of Oxygen Cleaner (like Oxyclean)



Grate the Zote soap. This part takes the longest! Mix all ingredients together, with Zote soap. You need a really big bowl or mix it in a garbage bag. Then pour it into a container and use a small scoop with your next laundry load!This homemade detergent has no odor. I love yummy smelling laundry- so I bought some Meyer's lavender laundry softener- and added it to my loads. It did just the trick and made the clothes smell so yummy and really, really soft.

2 comments:

Rachel Garces said...

Love the laundry ideas.... i might give them a try.... I have the same problem, makes me crazy. And also love the 'make your own detergent' where do you find all the ingredients to make it?

Janell said...

Love this post Danielle!