Monday, August 23, 2010

Avery Rose

(I included all the details- because I love labor stories and I don't want to forget any part of this wonderful story!)

On June 14th (Mon), I had my 39 week check up with my OB, Dr. May in Laguna Hills. He checked me and I was a 1+ and 90 % effaced. Dr. said that if I didn't go into labor on my own, he would induce me on Saturday at 7 am. We had decided on that date the week before, so my induction was already scheduled and we were really thinking that Saturday would be the big day. In fact, I was kind of hoping she would wait until then, because Jake had woken up early that morning, with the stomach flu. I was hoping that by Saturday, the bug would make it's rounds and everyone would be back to normal. After my appt, I walk around the mall a little, did some shopping and met up with my parents at CPK at 6 pm. I had a contraction during dinner and then another one after dinner at Nordstrom Rack, while walking around with my mom. They weren't bad and didn't last long. I didn't think much of it. I headed for home around 8:30. Once I got in the car, I had another contraction- and then had 3 more- each about 15 minutes apart. When I got home, around 9:30, Aaron opened the door and I said "Are your bags packed? I just had 3 contractions, 15 minutes apart." He kind of laughed and we settled in to watch the Bachelorette. I had a couple more- and then they stopped around 10. I was just thinking about calling my parents to give them a heads up- and then everything stopped. We headed to bed around 11 and I promptly fell asleep. I woke up at midnight, with a big contraction and was shaking so hard. I layed there for about 45 minutes, shaking and having contractions about every 13-15 minutes. Then I went in the bathroom and had some very loose bowels (sorry for the TMI!). I woke Aaron up and told him that I was in pain and going downstairs to take some Tylenol. I still had no idea that I was in labor! Remember, this has never happened to me before. I did some dishes, picked things up and sat down for a minute. I started to keep my eye on the clock, when I realized that I was contracting every 10 minutes or so- and it had been almost an hour. I had also made 3 more trips to the bathroom and still had the shakes. I decided to call my mom. At this point, I started to feel a little nervous- because my last 2 labors had been 2 hours. As soon as I called her and told her what was going on, she said, "You are in labor! Call your doctor and call me back!" Mom's are always right- so that's exactly what I did. My dr. wasn't on call that night but I talked to Dr. Kong and she said to wait until they were about 8 minutes apart and then to come in. I went upstairs and woke up Aaron, put on some clothes and grabbed our bags. I was getting really excited- and nervous! I was starting to be in a lot of pain, so I grabbed my phone and decided to call someone to come on over- just so we were ready to go ASAP. I had talked to a couple people who said they would keep their phone on and near their bed- so we could call them if I want into labor in the middle of the night. I called the first person, Dawna, no answer. I called the 2nd person, Krystel, no answer. I remember thinking, "Well- this isn't very good. What are we going to do?" So Aaron got on his phone and started making calls- still no answer!! In the meantime, I keep taking breaks and leaning on the kitchen counter, through contractions. At one point I remember he suggested waking up the kids and putting them in the car and just going. I just couldn't imagine having to deal with the kids in the middle of labor. So we just kept calling. I finally called my friend Janell to get the number for her mother-in-law, June- who was one of the one's that offered to help me in the middle of the night. She hadn't answered her cell- so I tried her house. I got through and she said she would be right over- and in the meantime, Aaron got a hold of Dawna's husband. He answered by saying "She's on her way!" Dawna was here in 5 minutes and I don't think I had ever been so excited to see someone! We were finally on our way. (that whole process took about 35 minutes.)

It usually takes us 45 minutes to get to our hospital- but Aaron made it in 30! It was REALLY super foggy and he had to slow way down in many places, but mostly he was doing about 90 mph- the whole way. I've never seen him drive like that. I think I was making him nervous- when I informed him I was starting to feel pressure. We pulled up to the ER about 3:30 am and they checked us in and then made us wait for a wheelchair. The nurse came to get me and it was the same nurse I had with Carter. We both recognized each other! She took me up to triage, I changed into my gown and she checked me. Right before that my water broke- and then I knew we would be having a baby very soon!
She immediately got me into a room and settled in. I had her call the anesthesiologist right away because I knew how fast things would go at this point. It took FOREVER!!! Seriously- my very calm and patient husband- who never speaks up about things- said that even he was getting frustrated and getting ready to say something because the Dr. was taking his sweet time setting everything up and putting the epidural in. I kept telling myself, "Just make it through one more contraction and then he will be done." Well- I had to say that about 15 times. It was awful. Finally he got it in and it was like heaven. My family was able to come in and visit for awhile. That was about 5 am. My wonderful husband and sweet Daddy gave me a blessing. My sister, mom and brother were also there. After that my Dr. came in and wanted to check me. This was about 20 minutes after the epidural. It had already started to wear off and I was feeling my contractions again and some definite pressure. She told me I was complete and could start to push. I pushed twice and she came right out. They wiped her off a little and put her on my chest. I got to hold and touch her right away and then they took her away and cleaned her off- and whatever else they do- I never get to see. After the dr. stitched me up and got things cleaned up- they brought her to me. My sister suggested to not get the drops in her eyes- so that Avery could see more clearly. It was such a great suggestion! For the first 45 minutes, Avery was completely calm and was staring right at me. It was so amazing. I would definitely recommend that. They said it was fine as long as you do it within the first 1 hour.

Avery Rose was born at 5:33 am. She weighed 7 pounds 7 ounces and was 20 inches long. My labor and delivery with Carter was so fast and crazy, that as soon as I knew I was pregnant this time- I was definite about having a completely different experience. So I made sure that I had things planned out and was very vocal about what I wanted. It was the most peaceful, calm, spiritual experience. It was quiet. My mom brought a beautiful CD that was on the whole time, everyone was talking in whispers, I was very comfortable and the whole experience was 100% different. When it was time to push, I sat up and very calmly pushed. There was no stress or rushing around setting things up. Everyone was peaceful and calm and Avery just came right out. It was exactly what I was hoping for. I love that memory I have of that sacred experience. I felt the Spirit very strong during the whole time and I know that in those moments right after she was born, we were very close to the veil and that the Savior was very aware of what had just transpired- another miracle.My mom was watching the kids while we were in the hospital. On Wed morning she called to tell me that Carter and Addie had the stomach flu. They got over it pretty quickly- but still- YUCK! I ended up feeling kinda yucky on Wed night and when I woke up on Thurs morning I definitely knew I was sick. Aaron also got it on Thursday morning. After we were discharged, we drove to my parents house to see the kids. Here is Avery in her going home outfit.We let the kids hold the baby and we visited with everyone for awhile. I wasn't feeling too great so we left after an hour or so. On our way home, on the toll road, I threw up! What are the odds?? Driving home from the hospital and getting the flu! Luckily it came and went very fast and I was better by that night. We had one peaceful night and then the next morning my Dad called and said my mom had come down with it- so we got our kids back a little earlier then we were planning. But at least- we were all healthy by then.

And there begins our life with 5 kids!

7 comments:

Tanya Smith said...

Beautiful story Danielle. It made me cry :)

Brooke said...

I am so glad you shared every detail. The same thing happened to me with contractions 2nd time. I didn't know what was going on. :) It brought tears to my eyes when I read that the peace you wanted actually happened and you had a spiritual experience. Makes me want to have another baby. I am glad you have a supportive husband and family. You are so blessed!

Karen said...

Such a beautiful story! I'm so glad she came so quickly and easily and all went well! Except for all the flu stuff, but you're a trooper and can roll with any punch!
Love ya!

ashlee said...

She is gorgeous and the story is beautiful! You are my hero...I am loving my 4 (can you believe Karlee started 4th grade today?) and they keep my house loud and busy...just the way us moms like it! I hope you are finding ways to get a quiet moment...enjoy that sweet baby it never lasts long enough!

Anonymous said...

Nice Post.-MCB

Ani said...

Beautiful post! I feelso blessed to have been there for her birth!! It was so amazing. She is one lucky little girl!

S. Tallman said...

Beautiful experience, Danielle, and you are so wise to write it down so you will always remember it. We are blessed to read it! I am so proud of you.